The town of Clarno
is in the southern tier of towns; bounded on the south by Illinois, on
the west by the town of Cadiz, on the north by Monroe, and on the east
by Jefferson. It embraces township 1 north, range 7 east, containing 23,222.87
acres of land. The surface of this town is considerably diversified. In
places it is quite broken and inclined to be bluffy, yet in but very few
localities is it sufficiently abrupt to make it useless for agricultural
purposes. Interspersed with the timber land is found patches of prairie
and clearing, and the town contains many of the finest farms in Green county.
A local writer in speaking of this town says:
"One of the things worthy of notice in this vicinity is the noted spring on section 11, on the place now occupied by F. H. Smock. It is famous for once having been the head-quarters of Black Hawk, the noted Indian chieftain. By the side of this fountain of sparkling water, the dusky warrior gathered his braves around their council fires, to plan the midnight raids against the pale-faces who had raised their solitary cabins here and there on the hunting grounds of the red man. The spot is lovely and romantic, sloping gently to the south. Near the spring stands an oak tree, whose deep foliage casts a dark shade over the water."
It is estimated that there are over 23,000 acres of farming lands, in this town, of average value of $23.06 per acre, and total value of $536,834. The total value of real and personal property in the town is $693,073. The population of the town in 1875 was 1,510 to 1880 1,429. The stock in the town is as follows: Horses 674, average value $59.09, total $39,831; 3,132 head of cattle, average value $17.91, total $56,111; thirteen mules, average value $75.76, total $985; 2,339 sheep, average value $2.41, total $5,674; 3,283 swine, average value $5.30, total $17,418; there are 1,047 milch cows, valued at $21,789. The principal farm products grown in the town is 1882 were as follows: 4,163 bushels of wheat, 161,546 bushels of corn, 84,325 bushels of oats, 540 bushels of barley, 6,050 bushels of rye, 6,772 bushels of potatoes, 723 bushels of root crops, 23 1/2 bushels of cranberries, 3,735 bushels of apples, 49 1/2 bushels of clover seed, 146 1/2 bushels of timothy seed, 31,000 pounds of tobacco, 4,880 1/2 tons of hay, 64,169 pounds of butter, 61,500 pounds of cheese. The acreage of the principal farm products growing in the town of Clarno at the time of making the assessment in 1883 was as follows: 451 1/2 acres of wheat, 4,206 acres of corn, 2,545 1/2 acres of oats, four acres of barley, 623 1/4 acres of rye, 119 3/4 acres of potatoes, four acres of root crops, 1 1/2 acres of cranberries, 159 acres of apple orchards, 5,088 bearing trees, six acres of tobacco, 2,878 acres of growing timber and 3,288 acres of grasses.
which now comprises the town of Clarno was first explored by whites, with
the view of settling, in 1827. During this year, Andrew Clarno came
from Illinois, and traveled all over this portion of the State in search
of a suitable home for himself and family. In passing through the territory
now included in Green county, he was much impressed with the beauty of
the locality, the fertility of the soil and unequalled natural advantages,
and finally selected land which afterward became a portion of Section 30,
township 1, range 7 east. After prospecting for some time he returned to
Illinois. In 1832, accompanied by his two sons, O. H. P. and Stephen
E. he again came to Wisconsin -- this time to stay. Cabins were erected
and pioneer life was commenced in earnest. They all settled together on
section 30, where the old gentleman, Andrew, remained until the
time of his death in 1850. Stephen E., after a few years, entered
land on section 29, and remained until 1840, when he went to Cedar Rapids,
Iowa; later he returned to Illinois and located in what is now Logan county,
where he lived for a number of years. He is now a resident of McLean Co.,
Ill. O. H. P. Clarno, at the time of his arrival with his father and brother,
was but a lad of fourteen years.
O. H. P. Clarno is a resident of the town of Clarno, where he has resided since 1832. He was born in Sangamon Co., Ill., near Springfield, March 10, 1818. He was reared upon a farm and remained in that county till fourteen years of age, when he came to Clarno. He was married to Lucy Hoffman, who died May 11, 1853, leaving four children, all of whom are deceased. His second wife was Catharine Soloman, a native of Union Co., Penn. She died Nov. 24, 1876. He was again married to Polly Starr. Mr. Clarno owns 320 acres on sections 29 and 30. He was a soldier in the Black Hawk War, serving as a private. Thurman Crago is an adapted son of Mr. Clarno, with whom he has lived since six years of age. He (Mr. Crago) married to Emma Clarno, who died June 6, 1881, aged twenty two years and eleven months. She left two children -- Kittie M. and Lewis P. Mr. Crago was again married to Minnie B. Wickwire and they have one child.
Although the Clarno party were the first actual and permanent settlers, just before they arrived in 1832, another little party of pioneers had made their appearance and selected homes. The party consisted of Hugh Wallace and family, Joseph Paine and family and Josiah R. Blackmore. Upon their arrival early in the spring of 1832, Wallace located on section 19; Payne selected land just east of him, on the same section; and Blackmore took a claim on section 20. Before the pioneers had fairly got settled the Black Hawk War broke out, and upon the news reaching the settlement that the Indians were coming, the entire population fled to neighboring towns, where preparations had been made for defense. In the fall the party returned to find that the only two cabins in the town had been burned by the red man. However, the cabins were soon rebuilt, and pioneer life began anew. Wallace and Blackmore remained here until 1835, when they removed to Stephenson Co., Ill., where the former hung himself a few years later in consequence of land troubles. Blackmore remained in Stephenson county, until 1838, when he moved to, and erected a mill on Rock Run, the first in that region. He remained there for a number of years and finally removed to Warren, Ill., where he still lives. Joseph Paine remained in the town of Clarno until 1836, when he removed to the present site of the city of Monroe, and made a claim, erecting a cabin near the present residence of Dr. Byers. Paine opened his house as a tavern, and many were the weary travelers who were sheltered and fed under his hospitable roof. Later he erected the first frame house in the town; it is still standing, now forming a portion of the planing mill. In 1850 Paine got into trouble and left the county.
Hale, A Tennessean, came here from Lafayette Co., Wis. And settled
on section 31. He remained until 1835 when he sold his place to
Bowen, and moved across the line into the town of Cadiz. He is now
dead. Nicholas Hale came a year or two later, and also removed to
Cadiz. They were twins and to some it was hard to distinguish one from
James Hawthorn, a native of New York, came here in 1833, from the mining regions near Blue Mounds, Wis., and settled on a farm on section 9 and 10. He erected a log cabin and for a number of years kept bachelors hall. "Many a time have we eaten mush and milk with him from the old black kettle," says an old settler in speaking of the lonely, yet pleasant days, which "Uncle Jimmie" passed upon the old homestead. Mr. Hawthorn still owns the land. Four of his children still live in the town.
W. B. Hawthorn was born in this county, in the town of Clarno, Sept. 5, 1842. When twenty-four years old he went to Montana and engaged in stock dealing. He also traveled through all the western States, California, New Mexico and Arizona; in the latter place he was in the lumber business. In Idaho he was railroading six years. He spent about ten years in traveling, then returned, and in 1876 went to the centennial, and afterward traveled through the west until 1878. He then bought a farm on section 4, containing 160 acres. He now owns 300 acres of choice land and is extensively engaged in stock raising. He was married at Elk Point, Dak., to Mrs. Hattie (Chenoweth) Jones, a native of Indiana. This event occurred Feb. 3, 1878. They have one child. Mrs. Hawthorn is a member of the I. O. O. F., a good citizen and an industrious man.
Andrew J. Hawthorn, a prominent citizen of the county, was born in the town of Clarno, this county, on the old Hawthorn place, where he lived with his parents until twenty-six years old. He is the son of James and Mersey (Boils) Hawthorn. His father is now living in the town of Clarno with his daughter, and his mother is dead and buried in Bethel cemetery. At one time Mr. Hawthorn moved to the town of Cadiz and lived three years, then returned to Clarno and bought eighty acres of land from Isaiah Starr. He now owns 240 acres of superior land and is engaged in mixed farming. He has a fine flock of Shropshire-down sheep. He was married Oct. 19, 1862, to Abigail Chamness, of Monroe. They have four children -- Cora L., William I., Edwin E. and Andrew R. The entire family except the youngest, are members of the Evangelical Church.
John Hawthorn, a brother of W. B. and Andrew, is also a native of this county, having been born here April 10, 1855. He has spent all his life in Green county. Although a young man, he seems to have had business qualifications above average, and has a good property, consisting of 307 acres of choice land. He has this season erected a tasty farm house, at a cost of $3,000. He has given considerable attention to stock, and now owns some of the best breeds of Durham cattle in the county. His farm is excellently watered.
John W. Deniston and wife and his father-in-law, Abner Van Sant, came from Missouri in 1834. They settled on section 17, and erected a cabin on the northwest quarter. Their cabin turned out to be on section 16, so on section 17 they built cabins, three in number, all connected together, and this for several years was the favorite place for neighborhood gatherings, dances, meetings, etc. In 1837 they erected a mill on Honey creek, putting up a good building, throwing a brush dam across the stream and putting in one run of stone. For ten years they ran the mill and finally went into disuse. Messrs. Deniston & Van Sant remained here a few years and then removed to the town of Cadiz where they both died.
James Campbell and Cutler Wilkins also came with the Deniston and Van Sant party. Campbell worked about here for a few years then started a colony in the northeastern part of the county. About ten years later he removed to Madison where he died. He is noticed at length elsewhere in this volume. Wilkins was a cousin of Deniston's wife, and was a mere lad. He remained ten or twelve years and then removed to Missouri where he died.
During August and September, 1835, a large number of settlers arrived and found homes in this town among them were: O. J. White, William Bowen, William Baird, Mathew, William and Peter Wells, Joseph and James Kelley and Judge Jacob Andrick.
O. J. White and William Bowen came from Illinois and settled on section 30. Mr. Bowen remained here until 1855, when he went to Richland county, where he died in 1858. Mr. White still resides upon the old homestead.
William Baird selected land in what was then called "Richland Timber." He lived there for several years and then removed to the town of Sylvester, where he still lives.
The Wells family all settled near together in Richland Timber. Mathew, the old gentleman, died many years ago. William died in Iowa, to which State he removed at an early day. Peter Wells now lives in Monroe.
James Kelley settled with his family on sections 3 and 4, where he lived for a number of years.
Judge Andrick came from Indiana, and selected land adjoining the present site of Monroe, on the south. He brought his family in 1836. He remained here for about twenty years, when he went to Kansas. He is now dead.
Late in the fall of 1835 William Blunt, Jacob Stair, Mr. Draper and John Owen came.
William Blunt was a native of Ohio. He came here from Illinois, with his family, and settled in Richland Timber. He remained here for about twenty-five years, when he went to Missouri. He returned a few years later and met his death in Clarno, as the result of an accident. Mr. Blunt was a Campbellite preacher, and in early days frequently held services in his neighborhood. Before the war broke out he was a bitter democrat; but while taking a trip through Texas he made a speech or delivered a sermon, which displeased some of his hearers, and he was taken in hand by the crowd and brutally whipped. It was a long time before he recovered from the injuries inflicted by the beating. This changed his politics, and when the war broke out he was very anxious to go into the service and get "some revenge on the southerners." It was with difficulty that he succeeded in being mustered in as he was too old; but hair dye and lively actions accomplished his object, and he went south with one of the regiments of Wisconsin volunteers. Whether he succeeded in getting the "necessary revenge" is a matter of conjecture. He was honorably discharged, unharmed.
Jacob Stair located on section 34. He was a Virginian, but came here from Indiana. He married here and remained until the time of his death, which occurred shortly after the close of the war.
Mr. Draper came from Illinois, and located upon a farm on section 2, where he died a few years later.
John Owen did not become an actual settler. He came from near Dubuque, and only remained a short time.
Joab Enos, an "eastern man" was another of the settlers who came in 1835. He settled in the Richland Timber, and lived there for several years; then moved to the town of Monroe, and a number of years later, started for California; but died on the road.
A man named Brandenberg, came from Ohio in 1835, and for a short time, worked for James Hawthorn, devoting considerable time to hunting deer and bees. He was a single man but was earnestly searching for a wife. He proposed to each of the Deniston girls -- the only marriageable ladies in the town -- and upon being refused, married an Indian squaw. He only remained in this vicinity about one year, and then left the country.
Father Asa Ballinger, a Methodist preacher, and Kentuckian, came here in 1836, and bought land in the towns of Clarno and Cadiz, and also some adjoining in the State of Illinois. In 1837 he came with his family. There was a beautiful spring on his land in Illinois, and he built a log cabin convenient to that. He held services in the neighborhood, and soon became popular, both as a citizen and preacher. About 1859 he sold out and moved to Winslow, Ill., where he has since died.
In March, 1836, T. S. Bowen came from New York, and located on section 33. His family arrived in May. Mr. Bowen made this his home until the time of his death in 1883, and his widow still occupies the old homestead.
The Chilton family came from Sangamon Co., Ill., early in the spring of 1836, and also found homes in this town. The father, William, bought the claim of Joseph Paine. His wife and son, James, died here, and he finally removed to Missouri, where he died. The other son, Gus, removed from here to Illinois, where he died.
Ashford Trickle came during the same year, and located in Clarno. He still owns a farm here but now lives in Monroe.
Joshua Whitcomb came from Ohio in 1836 and bought the Blackmore claim. He now lives in the town of Albany.
Julius and Seth Austin, and Rev. Robert De Lap were also settlers of 1836. The Austin's settled west of the city limits. One of them died a few years ago; the other as early as 1852 removed to Minnesota, where he still lives.
Robert De Lap was a Methodist Episcopal preacher. He located near the Austin's and remained in this vicinity for a number of years, when he removed to Richland county, where he died in 1883.
Adam Starr came in the spring of 1836, with his family, and bought the Owen claim. There he and his wife died. One son, Solomon, still lives in the town.
John Cameron, and his brother-in-law, A. DeHaven, came in 1836. The latter entered government land on section 33, and then returned to Ohio, leaving Mr. Cameron, who entered land near by. Mr. DeHaven came back in the spring of 1839 and settled upon the land he had selected. Here he lived until 1882, when he moved to Monroe. He still owns the farm. Mr. Cameron yet resides on section 33.
For a number of years the settlement of the town progressed slowly, but a good and industrious class of people came and so this fact, that the development was measured, has proved beneficial. Among others who came in prior to 1845 are the following: Hezekiah Blunt, George Adams, Samuel Raymer, Robert Trickle, Abner, Samuel and Jeff Drake, Joseph Smith, William Brown and Henson Irion.
William McDowell came here from Portsmouth, Ohio, about 1839 and settled on section 30, where he still lives.
birth in the town of Clarno was a girl, born to Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas
Hale, in the fall of 1833, at the residence of Andrew Clarno. The girl
is now in Texas.
The first death in the town was that of Mrs. Jacob Stair, in the spring of 1836, of consumption.
The first marriage in the town, as well as the first in Green county, was that of Josiah R. Blackmore, to Nancy Wallace. The ceremony was performed at the residence of the bride's parents, in June, 1834
The second marriage, in which residents of Clarno were interested, was that of James Hawthorn to Massey Boyls. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Mr. Harcourt, a Methodist preacher, at the residence of the bride's parents, in the town of Cadiz. In those days it was fashionable to "put the bridegroom to bed", and in this case that part of the ceremony was performed by O. H. P. Clarno and O. J. White. They undressed Mr. Hawthorn and tucked him in bed beside Mrs. Hawthorn amid a good deal of sport on their side and blushes and stammers on the part of the bride and groom.
The second wedding to occur within the limits of the town of Clarno, was that of Crawford Million to a young lady who was stopping at Mr. Deniston's. The ceremony was performed in 1838, at the residence of J. W. Deniston.
The first religious services in the town were at the house of Mathew Wells, by Rev. Robert De Lap, a Methodist preacher. The first camp meetings in Green county were held at the same place.
The first school in the town was taught by a Mr. Jones, during the winter of 1837-8, in a building that had been erected for the purpose, on section 30. This building was a primitive affair. It was of logs 16x18 feet in size. In the, side a hole was cut which was covered with one pane of glass. This served as a window.
The first grain in the town was raised by Andrew Clarno, in 1833. Seed wheat was purchased at Galena for $3 per bushel, and ten acres was sown, which yielded thirty-five bushels per acre. This was what was then called "velvet wheat." In those days such a yield as this was not considered remarkable. In 1843 following a winter in which there was an average of three feet of snow covering the ground 0. J. White raised forty-five bushels of wheat per acre, and many of the early settlers report similar yields. Andrew Clarno also raised the first corn in the town. They "deadened" the trees and chopped seed into about two acres.
The first blacksmith was Calvin Hale, who opened a shop on section 9, in 1837. He improved land there and remained five or six years, when he sold and moved to the timber, where he died a few years later.
Abner Van Sant made the first fanning mill manufactured in Green county. In 1838 [or 1839] a man named Bean settled on the Deniston place. He was a good mechanic and made business of manufacturing fanning mills, which he used to peddle through the country.
In 1844, John Shober erected a mill on section 24, near the town line. He put up a frame building, put in an old fashioned "up and down saw," and run the machinery with horse power. For several years he operated the mill, and then sold to Fritz & Beckman; Charles Timms finally purchased the property, and now runs it with steam power.
Charles Timms, a native of Prussia, was born near Doelitz, Oct. 15, 1845. He is a son of Christ and Mary (Maltzke) Timms. His mother is now living in Nebraska, and his father is dead and was buried in Prussia. The early life of Charles was spent upon a farm, that being the occupation of his father. At the age of sixteen years he concluded to learn the miller's trade, and was engaged in a saw and grist mill until twenty years old, when he came to America, He first stopped in New York, where he was occupied in running a steam saw mill, thence he came to Juda, in this county, worked on a farm three months, and then removed to Waukesha county, where be ran a grist mill one year. He then hired out to Messrs. Fritz & Beckman to run their saw mill, where he has since been engaged. He thoroughly understands the business, and has succeeded in changing this mill from an old style inferior machine to one of the best of its size in the country. Mr. Timms was married Oct. 17, 1872, to Augusta Fritz. They have had six children, three of whom are now living Lydia II., Mary M. and Hattie A. Mr. Timms owns 140 acres of land where he lives, upon which is a saw mill and cheese factory. He has been a successful business man, and is now in the enjoyment of a competency.
THE BLACK HAWK WAR.
In the spring of 1832 there was only one cabin within the present limits of the town of Clarno. This had been erected by or at least for Andrew Clarno. It was at that time occupied by Joseph Paine, Hugh Wallace and Josiah Blackmore, as well as the Clarno family. Early in the summer of 1832 the news was received that the red men were coming. The news raised the greatest excitement among the little band of pioneers, and a "council of war" was at once called. After talking the matter over it was decided that the best plan was to flee. It was understood that the Indians were coming with their war paint, and were murdering and burning everything that came in their path. Joseph Paine and Hugh Wallace went to Willow Springs, while the Clarno party fled to Wiota. Upon the same day that they left the Indians arrived and burned the cabins. They came from the Rock river country, swimming the Pecatonica river. Previous to this there had been some trouble between the Indian tribes and the whites, and also among the Indians themselves. The friendly and hostile red men were distinguished by the fact that usually the friendly ones wore a rag or cloth tied about their foreheads. As near as the little band of Clarno pioneers- could learn, the depredations through this region and the destruction of their homes was the work of those Indians whom they had supposed were friendly. It was supposed that the Winnebagoes were responsible for it, and the excitement was intense all through this country, as will be seen by the fact that the settlers in township 1, range 7, all fled from twenty-five to fifty miles to escape the impending danger. In the fall they all returned, having spent the summer at the fort. At least that is where the Clarno party remained, while the others may have scouted through this region more or less. Mr. Clarno and his son, 0. H. P., or "Perry," were on soldier duty. most of the summer, guarding the fort; and Perry, notwithstanding the fact that he was only fourteen years of age, was drafted twice. Upon the return of the party in the fall of 1832, they found where there had been a large Indian encampment on section 19. There had been a large spot cleared, and it seemed as though when the Indians had crossed the Pecatonica they had scattered, and then found their way to this spot, which is secluded. They had cut a considerable portion of the brush and thrown it back for breastworks. Although much discouraged at finding their former home in ruins, they at once rebuilt, and set about making permanent improvements. The Black Hawk War did not cease, but this was the extent to which Clarno was affected by it.
religious services in the town of Clarno were held at the house of Matthew
Wells in the fall of 1835, by Rev. D. Harcourt, a local Methodist
preacher, who had located here. He gathered the settlers together and his
meetings were attended by many from "clear across the timber."
The first class was formed at the same place, in 1836, by Rev. James McKane, from Ogle Co., Ill. Among the members at the time of organization were: Matthew Wells, Sarah Maria Blunt, Jane Wells, wife of Peter Wells, and William Baird. All these had been members in the eastern States. Rev. DeLap was the first resident pastor after Dr. Harcourt. He came here in 1837. This was then a part of the Rock River Conference. In 1838, Rev. T. W. Pope was sent here. Then came Rev. McKane. Among others who preached for the class were: Revs. Pillsbury, James Ash and Charles McClure. For several years services were held at Matthew Wells' house, and then the house of Daniel Harcourt was used. Finally the class was merged into the Monroe organization.
In 1858, a Reform Church was organized which was afterward united with the Evangelical Lutheran Church. Among the Reform ministers who preached here were: Rev. John Hayman, who served sever years; Henry Knepper, six years; C. G. Hulhorst, two years; and F. W. Strunk, six years. Rev. Grosscup is the present pastor.
The Salem English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Shueyville, town of Clarno, was organized in 1868, by Rev. J. K. Bloom, of the Synod of Northern Illinois. He took charge as pastor in 1869. The following is the list of charter members and first officers: Zachariah Albright, Robert Shaw, Mary Shaw, Peter Lichtenwalner, Sarah Lichtenwalner, Joseph Lichtenwalner, Benjamin Neese. Robert Shaw Sr., elder; Joseph S. Lichtenwalner, deacon. Rev. Bloom resigned the congregation in 1870. He was succeeded by Rev. J. L. Hammond, who took charge April 16, 1871, and served four years. Resigning Sept. 26, 1875. Rev. James M. Rees took charge Nov. 21, 1876, and resigned April 1, 1880. Rev. D. E. Rupley took charge April 1, 1880, and resigned July 1, 1881. Rev. D. P. Grosscup, of the Synod of Iowa took charge Aug. 1, 1881, and resigned April 1, 1884. The church building was erected in 1869 by the joint contributions of the Lutheran and German Reformed congregations, costing both parties $2,500. It is a frame building 38x48 feet in size. It was dedicated in December, 1869, by Rev. J. K. Bloom and G. J. Donmeyer of the Lutheran Church. One acre of ground was donated to the church by Albert Albright of the Reformed congregation. The present officers are: Joseph S. Lichtenwalner, elder; Emanuel Painter, deacon. The present membership is nineteen. Beneficial revivals were enjoyed in 1869, and also in 1870.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
There was occasional preaching in the old log school house as early as 1849. In 1859 Rev. J. C. Brainerd sometimes occupied the frame school house known as Enterprise, a name first given in ridicule to the former log house in the same neighborhood. In 1861 Rev. J. C. Brainerd preached in the Thorpe school house, and formed a class there, with John DeLong leader, and members as follows: Axa DeLong, Frances DeLong, Harrison King, Nancy King, George Clingman, Susan Clingman, Anne I. McDowell, Sarah A. Thorpe, Frances H. Simpson, Ephraim Miller, Catharine Clarno and Harriet Iseminiger. This organization was discontinued in 1862, and names transferred to Shueyville, with Alpheaus De Haven leader. In February, 1867, a class was formed at Honey creek, Enterprise school house, by Rev. J. J. Walker, minister, and Eli Chapin, leader, and the following members: Sarah Chapin, Susan M. Chapin, P. Jane Chapin, M. A. Chapin, E. J. Chapin, M. J. Chapin, Samuel Drake, E. Drake and A. E. Anderson. In 1811 a new school house was built, and it was voted at the school meeting that the house should not be used excepting for school purposes. Accordingly this little band of worshippers, feeling the need of religious instruction for their children, resolved to erect a little church, which was done the same year in the fall of 1811. It was dedicated sometime in January, 1878, by Rev. D. W. Couch, presiding elder. The plan given by Rev. W. H. Kellogg, minister at that time size 34x38, and eighteen feet high cost $1,500. Three-fourths of an acre of land was given by S. Drake, as long as used for church purposes. Rev. J. J. Clifton first occupied the new building, and remained two years. Then Rev. A. L. Tull remained two years as pastor, followed by Rev. P. E Knox, who staid eighteen months and then removed to Faulk Co., D. T., to build him a home, and is there becoming identified with the early settlers of that part of God's vineyard as a minister, farmer, father of the State, county official, etc. Rev. E. T. Briggs filled the vacancy until fall, when Rev. W. H. Kellogg was appointed to take charge of the Monroe circuit. There has been but one revival held in the church. This was by Rev. P.E. Knox, and resulted in four conversions. Members in good standing March 31, 1884: Samuel Drake, Eliza Drake, Sarah Truman, William Truman, Kate McDowell, T. B. Wells, Amanda Wells, Garry Wells, Abbie Wells, Dora Wells, Sarah McCammant, Minnie McCammant, Annie E. Anderson and Etta B. Anderson; Rev. W. H. Kellogg, minister; T. B. Wells, leader; S. Drake. T. J. Anderson and T. B. Wells, trustees, Rev. E. L. Eaton, Madison, Wis., elder; William Truman and A. A. E. Anderson, stewards. This little society has never been strong either financially or in membership, but in twenty-three years has kept about the same in numbers, and is to-day in a flourishing condition.
town meeting in Clarno was held on the first Tuesday in April, 1849, at
Blunt's barn on section 22. The following is a list of the first town
officers elected at this time: Supervisors, Thomas S. Bowen, chairman,
J. White and William Boyls; clerk, J. H. Shuey; treasurer,
H. Blunt; assessor, Barnett Starr; superintendent of schools,
McDonald; Justice of the peace,
John W. Shuey, Henson Irion, George
Adams and Hamilton C. Miller; constables,
John M. Bryant,
Elijah Otterman and 0. H. P. Clarno.
Among others who have been prominent in town affairs and filled local offices at different times, are the following named: Alpheus De Haven, Hiram Ticknor, Jonathan Snyder, Jacob Mason, Israel Smith, John Fisher, E. P. Eddy, Alfred Wrisberg, Ashford Trickle, Joseph Gattips, John Walter, Samuel Raymer, Albert Albright, Peter Wells, Oliver Cessna, Edmond Stair, W. I. Hodges, Jacob Adams, J.H. Eaton, James Roberts, Absalom Huffman, Thomas Bowen, Simon Bartlett, Edward Reugger, Peter Gnagi, William Henthorn, Charles Adams, Joseph Kleckner, John Raymer and Benjamin Fair.
The Clarno "town house" is a brick structure, located on the southeast corner of section 16. It was erected in 1857, at a cost of about $1,200. The building committee, which was formed in April, 1857, was composed of Alpheus De Haven, George Adams and Hiram Ticknor.
the territory now comprising the town of Clarno was divided into seven
school districts. In the superintendents report for that year, district
No. 1, was not represented; but aside from that there were 237 scholars
in the town. The following; named were teachers at that time: John D.
Buchanan, M. O. Hoyt, John Andrick and Jabez Johnson.
In 1883 there were 511 scholars in the town. They were distributed among the different districts as follows: No. 1, 61; No. 2, 44; No. 3, 33; No. 4, 23; No. 5, 66; No. 6, 60; No. 7, 29; No. 8, 75; No. 9, 23; No. 10, 87; No. 9 (joint)5.
In 1884 there were eleven school districts in the town, with school houses located as follows: No. 1 on southeast quarter of section 2; No. 2, on southeast quarter of section 16; No. 3, on southwest quarter of section 27; No. 4, on northwest quarter of section 32; No. 5, on northwest quarter of section 20; No. 6, on southwest quarter of section 4; No. 7, house in Cadiz; No. 8, on northwest quarter of section 1; No. 9, on southeast quarter of section 26.
The postoffice generally called Shuey's Mill, was established in 1859. John H. Shuey was appointed postmaster and served two years, when he was succeeded by Alpheus DeHaven, who kept the office until 1876, when he resigned and John Lockwood was appointed. Mr. Lockwood held the office until 1883.
THE CLARNO GRANGE
Among the old settlers and prominent citizens of the town of Clarno, are the following:
John Cameron came to this county April 9, 1837, from Cincinnati, and settled on section 33, the southwest quarter, where he owns 120 acres. He was born on the Alleghany mountains, Westmoreland Co., Penn., thirty-five miles northeast from Pittsburg, Dec. 6, 1807. He is a son of Daniel and Jane (Carney) Cameron. When three years old, he was taken by his parents to Cincinnati, where he lived until 1837, when he came here as before stated, and has since resided on the same farm. He was married May 10, 1832, to Elizabeth Tilson, of Hamilton county. She died in 1865, and was buried in Shueyville cemetery. He was again married April 24, 1872, to Malinda J. Dunmeyer, of Stephenson Co., Ill., daughter of George and Mary Grossmen, who are still living in Stephenson county. Mr. Cameron is a democrat.
T. B. Wells, son of Peter and Jane (Bowman) Wells, was born Jan. 22, 1841. He was born on the farm he now owns, in the town of Clarno, on section 22. He now owns 380 acres of land. He is principally engaged in stock raising, and has a good farm finely improved. He was married in 1861 to Amanda M. DeHaven, a native of Illinois, and daughter of T. G. and Mary (Stair) DeHaven, who are living in the town of Clarno. Mr. and Mrs. Wells have seven children -- Oren, Abbie J., Garry E., Birtram C., Dora E., Grant U., Treat L. and Prudie M. Two children died and were buried in Clarno. Mr. Wells is a republican and a successful business man. His mother and five children are buried in Monroe. His father and step-mother live in Monroe.
T. J. Millman came with his parents to Green county in 1844. He was born in Randolph Co., Ind., Aug. 19, 1836, and is a son of Robert and Abigail (Adamson) Millman, both of whom are dead and buried in Hawthorn cemetery. Robert Millman, on coming to this county, took a claim on section 32, of the town of Monroe, on which he lived until his decease, in December, 1867. His wife died Oct. 6, 1876. They were of English-Scotch extraction. Mr. Millman, of this sketch, continued to reside in this county from 1844 until 1863, when he went to California for the benefit of his health, and remained until 1865. He clerked in a hotel one year, then worked in a saw mill a few months. He then returned and cared for his aged parents, who lived with him till their death. He next went to Nora Springs, Iowa, and remained three years, from 1868 to 1871, after which he returned to section 32. In 1880 he erected a handsome residence on section 5, lot 4, where he now resides. He owns 203 acres of fine land in one body, and is engaged in mixed farming. He was married in 1859 to Ella Hawthorn. They have three children Mary A., Francis E. and Ellen M. Mr. and Mrs. Millman are members of the United Brethren Church. He is politically, a republican.
John Strader has been a resident of this county since he was seven years old, and was born in Stephenson Co., Ill., Jan. 22, 1838. He is a son of Jacob and Rachael (Starr) Strader. His mother is living with him on the farm, and his father is dead and buried in Franklin cemetery. Mr. Strader first lived in Jordan, where in after years he owned a farm, which he sold and removed to the town of Clarno, on section 29, where he now owns 240 acres of good land. He was married to Adelade D. Blair, Jan. 22, 1868, who died Sept. 24, 1871, and was interred in Monroe cemetery. There were two children born to them Homer H. and Sebert B. Mr. Strader was again married Feb. 21, 1878, to Henrietta E. Harris, a native of Michigan. Two children blessed this union Bessie R. and John S. Mr. Strader is a practical farmer, and during the winter is engaged in supplying hard wood lumber for the railroads, wagon shops and other places. He is independent in politics, and a member of the Baptist Church.
Andrew J. Trickle, a native of Vermilion Co., Ill., was born Sept. 10, 1825. He is a son of Robert and Mary (Bensyl) Trickle, who came here in 1848, and first settled on section 6, the town of Clarno, where they lived, or near there, until the time of the death of Robert Trickle, Andrew's father, which occurred April 3,1873. Mrs. Trickle (Andrew's mother) died in 1884, and both the parents were buried in Franklin cemetery. The subject of this sketch came to this county in 1851, having previously, in March, 1849, been married to Elizabeth Cruthers. They settled on section 5, town of Clarno, having at that time forty acres of land. He now owns in the county 440 acres, and 240 in Seward Co., Neb. He makes stock raising a specialty. His wife is now dead and buried in the Franklin cemetery. They had three children. He was again married to Mrs. Charlotte Huffman, a resident .of Green county, Dec. 3, 1858. Thirteen children have blessed this union Jessie, Charles, Andrew, Laura, Martha, Tilla, Charlotte, Lewis, Clara, Olive, Joseph, Albert and Everett. They are all living but Sarah Ellen, who was buried in Franklin cemetery. Mr. Trickle is one of the leading citizens of Clarno, and is respected by all who know him.
Edward Trickle came to this county with his parents when he was ten years old. He was born in Vermilion Co., Ill., Dec. 12, 1837. He now lives on the old homestead, which he has much improved, having added among other things, a commodious dwelling at a cost of over $3,000. The old house is yet standing near by, a relic of the past, and around its hearthstone cluster many happy recollections of days gone by. Mr. Trickle now owns about 400 acres of land and makes stock raising, buying, selling and shipping, a business. He was married Dec. 1, 1866, to Matilda Hawthorn a daughter of James Hawthorn, whose sketch appears elsewhere. She was a resident and native of Green county. They have nine children James R., George W., Amy C. William E., Alfred R., Elmer, Mary E., Benjamin R. and Alonzo E. In politics Mr. Trickle is independent, acting according to his judgment and not being bound by party ties, or subject to the dictations of any clique or party of men. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
Eugene A. White is a native of the town of Clarno, this county, and was born Sept. 27, 1848. He is a son of 0. J. White, one of the earliest settlers. Eugene has lived almost continually in his native county, having been away, only once, which was in 1871, when he went to Osceola Co., Iowa, and took up some land. After proving up on it he returned to Green county. He was married Dec. 23, 1874, to Helen Adams, also a native of Green county, and daughter of George and Jemima Adams. The father and mother are now living in Monroe. Mr. and Mrs. White have one child, son Leland C., born Dec 3, 1875. Mr. White owns 120 acres of land on section 32, which makes one of the best farms of its size in the county. The situation of his improvements is pleasant and attractive, and the grounds and buildings indicate taste and thrift. Mr. White adheres to the republican party, and is a whole souled, genial gentleman.
Fridolin Tschudy, was born in Swandon, Switzerland, March 22, 1822, and came to Green county in 1868. He was married in Switzerland to Elizabeth Sweifle, who died in that country, Dec. 8, 1862, leaving five children -- Fridolin Catharine, Margaret, Ursula and Henry. Mr. Tschudy was again married April 30, 1863, to Catherine Beylinger, a native of Glarus, Switzland (sic). His death occurred June 19, 1882. His son, Henry, now owns and carries on the farm. He is an energetic and industrious young man. The farm contains sixty-four acres in all, thirty acres of which are on section 12, where he resides, and thirty-four acres on section 7, in the town of Jefferson.
Alexander Campbell did not emigrate to this county, for here he was born Jan. 30, 1849. He is a son of T. J. and Eliza (Blunt) Campbell, the latter is now dead and buried in Bethel Church cemetery, the former lives in the town of Clarno. In 1873 Alexander went to Nebraska and remained eight years in Saunders county on a farm. With this exception Green county has always been his home. He was married July 11, 1869, to Aquilla Deal, of the town of Clarno, daughter of Levi and Margaret Deal now living in Monroe. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have seven children Flora B. Dewitt C., Joseph T., Minnie M., Abbie E., Maggie B. and Emery L. Mr. Campbell is a prohibitionist. He is a member of the United Brethren Church; also his wife and daughter, Flora.
Fridolin Tschudy, a son of John J. and Barbara (Hoddinger) Tschudy, was born in the town of New Glarus, Dec. 8, 1849. His parents are now living in Monroe. He remained in his native town until five years old when he went with his parents to Dayton, town of Exeter, thence to Monroe, where he lived until sixteen years old, then removed with his parents to the farm he now occupies. He was married Nov. 28, 1872, to Mary A. Lauz, a native of Switzerland, born Nov. 8, 1850. She died Feb. 25, 1884, and was buried in the cemetery at Monroe. Six children were born to them John J., Louisa B., Annetta B., Emma F., Andrew R. and Fridolin. They are members of the Evangelical Reform Church. The farm consists of 135 acres on sections 1 and 2, the old homestead, which is conveniently located one and one quarter miles southeast from Monroe, where he is engaged in raising, breeding and selling blooded stock, the firm name being J. J. Tschudy & Sons. They are importers and breeders of pure Chester white swine, Ayrshire cattle and Southdown sheep. Of this stock they are constantly selling to breeders and stock men, and can guarantee satisfaction. He also is engaged in the manufacture of Swiss cheese.
William Henn was born in Germany, but came to Green county when one year old. His parents, Philip and Bena Henn, are living in Monroe. He was married Nov. 15, 1876, to Isabel Conkey, an adopted daughter of Amos and Mary A. Conkey. Mr. Henn owns thirty-eight acres of land on section 1, in the town of Clarno, where he is desirably located, and has good buildings. He is politically a republican. Mrs. Henn's mother resides with them.
Amos Conkey was a native of New York, born April 8, 1809. While he was quite young his father died, and he went to New Hampshire to live with a Mr. Huff, remaining with him until twenty-one years old. He then went to Grand Rapids, Mich., where he remained until 1842, when he came to Green county, and settled on Green's Prairie upon a farm. He died in 1874, on the 21st of December. He was married to Mary A. Slater, April 8, 1856. She is a native of England and now resides with their adopted daughter, Mrs. William Henn. Mr. Conkey was in the service during the War of the Rebellion, enlisting in 1862.
Samuel Weismiller was born in county of Bane, Switzerland, Nov. 1, 1820. He is a son of Samuel and Mary (Wertley) Weismiller, both of whom are dead and buried in Switzerland. The subject of this sketch left his native country when thirty years old, and came directly to the town of Clarno, in this county. This was in 1866. He bought a farm from Jeremiah Bender, consisting of twenty-eight acres. He now owns fifty-eight acres. Mr. Weismiller has been twice married, first to Mary Wattmiller. She died and was buried in Monroe cemetery. He was married again Feb. 12, 1876, to Mrs. Elizabeth Strickey, of the town of Clarno. She had three children by a former husband Cornelia, Maurice and Henry. Mr. and Mrs. Weismiller are members of the Lutheran Church.
George W. Bloom came to the town of Clarno in 1882 from the town of Sylvester. He was born in Centre Co., Penn., April 13, 1841, and is a son of George and Elizabeth (Kooken) Bloom, both of whom are now living in the town of Sylvester, the former at the mature age of eighty-one, the latter seventy-eight at this time (1884). George lived in his native State until 1851, when he moved to Illinois, thence the year following to Wisconsin and Green county, where his father settled on section 32, town of Sylvester. In 1863 Mr. Bloom went to Nevada, prospecting, and there remained about two years, then returned home, and Dec. 11, 1864, was married to Mahala Chryst, daughter of John Chryst. By this union there were nine children Emma J., Florence E Mary E Lena B., Ruth A., John C., Ray, Clara and Fred. Emma J. is married to Mathias Schindler, and is living in Beloit, Wis. Mr. Bloom owns 120 acres and has a pleasant home. He is a member of the Lutheran Church and a democrat. He is of a family of eight living children, and all attended the golden wedding of their parents in 1876.
Jacob Jones is a native of Maryland, born Jan. 5, 1820. He is a son of Thomas and Susanna (Trotton) Jones, both of whom are dead and buried in Baltimore Co., Md. Jacob came to this county in 1853, and settled in the town of Monroe, on the Mineral Point road, where he lived until 1862, then returned to Maryland and remained one year on account of his health. In 1863 he came again to this county and bought ten acres of land from Dr. Sherman, and now owns twenty-four acres, located a short distance from the village of Monroe. He was married in Maryland to Mrs. Emeline Wilkinson, a native of that State. She died in May, 1867, and was buried in Monroe cemetery. She left two children John T. and Mary A. Mr. Jones was again married Dec. 28, 1871, to Nancy Crow, daughter of Abram and Elizabeth Crow, who are living in the town of Clarno. By this union there are four children Harry F., Bertha M., Jacob Arthur and Robert R. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are both members of the M. E. Church. John T., the son from first marriage, is a master mechanic on the Texas & St. Louis Railroad, and stationed at Jonesboro, Ark. Mary A., the daughter, is running a millinery and dress making establishment in Wayne, Lafayette county.
John C. Smock is a son of Peter and Elizabeth Smock, and was born in Jefferson Co., Ohio, in 1821. He was married June 10, 1847 in Columbiana Co., Ohio, to Hannah Grisell, daughter of Joseph and Letitia Grisell. Previous to his marriage, Mr. Smock resided in various places in Ohio. After marriage he lived four years in Columbiana county, then went to Logan county, where he was engaged in running a saw mill, and remained three years. He removed from the latter place to Green county, in 1854. Soon after arriving here he purchased the place where he now lives. In 1869 he removed with his family to Story Co., Iowa, remaining there until 1872, when he returned to his farm in this county. When Mr. Smock came to Green county in 1854, the country was much of it, in an uncultivated state. Land was worth $20 per acre at that time. Mr. and Mrs. Smock had six children, four of whom are living Frank, Letitia, Douglas, Libbie, Lincoln and John.
Frank H. Smock is a native of Ohio, born in Columbiana county, July 12, 1848, and is a son of J. C. and Hannah (Grisell) Smock, both of whom are living in the town of Clarno, near their son. When Frank was three years old, his parents removed with him to Logan county and remained three years on a farm, thence they came to this county and settled on section 11 town of Clarno. Here the subject of our sketch continued to live with his parents about fourteen years, then went to Story Co., Iowa, and lived about five years, and thence to the town of Clarno and settled on section 14, when he remained one year, then went to Lafayette county and lived about two years. He then moved to sections 11 and 14, where he now owns about 135 acres of land, and is engaged in handling stock. His farm is an excellent one and well adapted for his business. He was married Sept. 2, 1872, to Belle McHose, of Illinois. They have had four childrenEva May, Elma L., Ida D. and Fannie. The latter died Jan. 24, 1881, and was buried in Greenwood cemetery. Mr. Smock has been a greenbacker ever since the organization of that party. He has held offices of trust in the county, and is a citizen of many good qualities.
Andrew Dinges was born in Centre Co., Penn., Jan. 21, 1828, and is a son of John and Sarah (Swartz) Dinges, of German descent. The subject of this sketch was a farmer and removed from his native State to Stephenson Co., Ill. When twenty-six years old be came to this county and settled on section 22, Clarno, where he purchased 120 acres of choice land. He now owns 200 acres and makes stock raising a specialty. He was married in Centre Co., Penn., Jan. 21, 1851, to Elizabeth Dulwiler, a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Ulrick) Dulwiler, both of whom are dead and buried in Aaronsburg. Mr. Dinges' parents are both buried also in Aaronsburg cemetery. They have thirteen children Lydia A., Willoughby H., Florence V., Andrew C., Sarah E., Elenora, Charles W., Emma. R., Mary A., Winnie M., Frederick C., Olive E. and Winona E. The four oldest are married. Mr. and Mrs. Dinges are members of the Reform Church, and in politics he is a democrat.
John McCammunt, a successful farmer and stock raiser of the county, was born in, Muskingum Co., Ohio, Oct. 31, 1830. He is the son of Samuel and Rebecca (Coe) McCammunt, who are dead and buried in a private, cemetery upon Mr. McCammunt's farm. He came from Ohio directly to Green county and settled on section 21 of the town of Clarno, where his father formerly owned the south half of the northeast quarter, to which he has added 160 acres adjoining, and has a good residence and other improvements. Upon his farm are four springs of excellent water, and the place is well adapted for stock raising. He was married Jan. 17, 1856, to Adaline Wells, daughter of Peter Wells, of Monroe, and sister of T. B. and Charles Wells, of the town of Clarno. They have eight children Mary, Temperance, Angeline, Sarah, John, Minnie, Joshua and Caroline.
Emanuel Painter came to Shueyville in 1855, and went to work in the blacksmith shop of Cornelius Henry, for whom he worked six months. He then bought the shop of Mr. Henry, and began business on his own account; which he has since continued, at the same place. He was born in Westmoreland Co., Penn., May 29, 1830, and is the son of Daniel and Esther (Crawshard) Painter. He came to Green county directly from Pennsylvania. He was married May 6, 1855, to Mary Michael, a native of that State, Clearfield county. Ten children have been born to themHuldah, Lucy A., Flora D., Amanda E., Nettie B., Rosa A., Tillie ., Allie M., Eda E., and Palmer A. Mr. and Mrs. Painter are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Painter is doing a prosperous business, and since coming to Shueyville, has never been out of work. He has accumulated some property, and now owns his shop and a good house in town, and seventy-five acres of land located a short distance north of the village.
Joshua Wiley was born in Chester Co., Penn., Sept. 6, 1816. He is a son of William and Lydia (Frame) Wiley. The former is now buried in Chester Co., Penn., and the latter in Lancaster county. In 1833 the family removed to Chester county, and in 1854, Joshua went to Freeport, Ill., and lived three years, then came to Green county and settled on section 19, where he owns eighty acres of land. He was married March 2, 1854, to Elizabeth Strode, of Wilmington, Del., and they now have three children William, now foreman on a railroad, and stationed at Yankton, Dak.; Mary and Ella. They belong to the Society of Friends, and are comfortably situated to spend their declining years in peace and happiness,
Alfred Clark came to Green county when but seven years old. He is a native of Massachusetts, born March 8, 1853. He is a son of Elam and Tirzah (Brown) Clark. The former is now dead and buried in Monroe cemetery, the latter is living in the village of Monroe. Alfred, the subject of this sketch, lives on section 3, near Monroe, and owns 397 acres of good land. He cultivates a fine vineyard and manufactures wine, but is principally engaged in raising stock. His wife was Elizabeth Fitzgerald, a native of New York, to whom he was married Nov. 1, 1863. They have had four children Charles L., now in Montana on a cattle ranch; Nellie M., Mamie P. and Alfred C., all at home. Near the residence of Mr. Clark was erected the first frame house between Freeport and Madison, and it was built by Joseph Kelly. The lumber was drawn from Galena, and it was used for a hotel. Mr. Clark has a beautiful residence, and seems surrounded by all the comforts of life.
Solomon Starr was born in Ohio, Preble county, July 7, 1822. He is a son of Adam and Mary (Kick) Starr, who are buried in Monroe cemetery. Mr. Starr's father was one of the earliest settlers in this county, having located nine miles below Mineral Point, in 1826, where he worked at blacksmithing for a time, then removed to the place now owned by Peter Lichtenwalner, on section 28. He remained there for eleven years. Solomon was married in 1842 to Sarah Blunt, of the town of Clarno: daughter of William and Nancy (Smith) Blunt; both of whom are dead, the latter is buried at Sedalia, Pettis county, the former lies in Shueytown cemetery. Mr. Starr lives on the north and east side of the east half of the north east quarter of section 25, and owns 104 acres. There are seven children living Daniel, William, Levi L., May C., Susan E., Martha E. and Farmer D. Mr. Starr is a member of the Christian Church, and politically is a democrat
William Beckman was born Oct. 3, 1841, the northern part of Prussia, near the city of Slettin. His. parents, Christian and Louise Beckman, are dead and buried in Prussia. When fifteen years old, William left his native country and came to America. On coming to Green county, he first lived in Monroe one and a half years, afterwards working on a farm till 1864, then purchased the mill property known as the "Thober Mill," which he operated about ten years, then sold and removed to his present farm, on section 26, of the town of Clarno where he owns 125 acres of land, also a saw mill. He has a handsome residence surrounded by trees. His farm is watered by the Big Richland creek, and is very desirable property. He was married Feb. 2, 1866, to Mrs. Louisa Bookman nee Ohm, widow of his brother, Michael Beckman, who died in the army. He belonged to the 36th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, company D. Mrs. Beckman had one child by her first marriage Emma F., now Mrs. Grimmert, of Monroe. Mr. and Mrs. William Beckman have four children Amanda, William, Martha and Frederick. They are members of the German Evangelical Synod of North America. Mr. Beckman was educated in Prussia, and also attended school after coming to America, about seven months.
Abner A. Drake is one of the men who has always made this county his home, having settled here at the time of his birth. He is a son of Robert M. and Sarah (Jones) Drake; the former is also a resident of this county. Abner was married to Catherina Zweifel, a native of Green county, and daughter of Jacob and Verena Zweifel. They have two children Frank R. and Arthur J. Mrs. Drake is a member of the German Lutheran Church. Mr. Drake is a member of the republican party. Their home is located on section 6, on the southeast quarter, where he owns eighty acres of land, and makes stock raising his principal business.
T. J. Anderson was born March 12, 1838, and is a son of Garland and Elizabeth (Lutts) Anderson, both of whom are dead and buried at Freeport, Ill. The father of the subject of this sketch was a shoemaker by trade. In 1864, T. J. with his parents, went to Stephenson Co., Ill., and lived near Freeport on a farm until 1862, when he came to this county locating in the town of Clarno. He was married at Monroe in 1864 by Rev. Fairbanks to Annie E. McDowell. They lived for a time in the southeast part of the town, but in 1869 removed to section 20, where they have since lived. He owns eighty acres and is principally engaged in raising stock. They have two children living Etta B. and Katie J. They have lost four children, three of them within nine days by diptheria in 1879. They were buried in the Hawthorne Cemetery near the United Brethren Church in Green county.
Thomas Hawkins Eaton, was born April 13, 1822, in the town of Elk Run, Columbiana Co., Ohio. His great-great-grandfather, John Eaton took up arms against the infatuated despot, James the Second; and, for gallantry and good conduct at the battle of the Boyne, July 1, 1690, was rewarded by William the Third, Prince of Orange, with a liberal donation of land in Ireland, where he established his family. The great-grandfather of Thomas was also named John. He was born on the paternal estate which he finally disposed of and emigrated to America, settling on the shore of the Chesapeake bay. He had, by his first wife, three children James, Hugh and Mary. James, the eldest of the children, was born Dec. 25, 1733, on his father's estate in Ireland; and, after the death of his mother and the second marriage of his father, he took up his residence in London. After living in that city seven years, he enlisted in the English navy and served seven years on a British man-of-war. During his term of service he was engaged in several battles with the French, both on land and sea. After his term of service had expired, he traveled extensively in Europe, and finally came to America, settling at Hagerstown, Md., where he married Elizabeth Downey. Their children were John, Hugh, James, Elizabeth, Nancy, Rebecca and Sarah. The father was a pioneer settler of Washington Co., Penn., where he located in 1779, on the headwaters of Pike Run. He died there March 31, 1814. John, the eldest of the children, and father of the subject of this sketch, was born April 25, 1778, at Green Spring Furnace, near Hagerstown, Md. He came with his father to Washington Co., Penn., where he spent his youth and early manhood and where, at eighteen years of age, he was married to Catharine Marker. The fruit of this marriage was eleven children, two dying in infancy. The others were Elizabeth, Rebecca, William, Nancy, Sarah, Horace P., James Harvey, Reason Beall and Thomas Hawkins. John Eaton, the father, was a pioneer in eastern Ohio, arriving in Columbiana county about the year 1809. He served in the War of 1812-15, under Gen. William Henry Harrison and was one of the early settlers in Crawford county, in that State, taking up his residence in the town of Liberty, in 1830. During the next winter (1830-31), he was instrumental by the aid of the father of the "fighting McCooks," who was then clerk in one of the branches of the Ohio legislature, in permanently fixing the county seat of Crawford county. He died in Holmes township, that county, July 23, 1850. He was a man of ardent temperament, generous, unsuspecting, benevolent, honest and fearless. The youngest of his sons, Thomas Hawkins, the subject of this sketch, was raised on the paternal homestead in Liberty township, Crawford Co., Ohio. He was, to a large extent, deprived of even a common school education, as that part of Ohio was then a "howling wilderness." Whatever of education he acquired in after life was the result of his own energetic efforts. He was married, on the 9th of April, 1845, to Martha Albert, grand-daughter of the celebrated Dr. Breniman, of Lancaster, Penn., the result of which marriage is six children three dying in infancy. The others are Mary Frances, the wife of McCletus Chapin; James Harvey and George West. The father, with his family, consisting of his wife and one child, emigrated to Wisconsin in 1851. He settled in Monroe, Green county, engaging for two years in house building. He then began the study of the law and was admitted to the bar in 1856. He opened a law office the following year in Monroe, continuing in the practice until the second year of the War for the Union, when he enlisted as a private in company G, of 22d regiment of Wisconsin Volunteers. He was immediately commissioned as 1st lieutenant, but was taken sick and obliged to resign his commission, returning home in March, 1863. Mr. Eaton has served as justice of the peace three terms in Monroe and four terms in Clarno. He has served one year as chairman of the board in the town last mentioned. In consequence of disease contracted in the service, he was upon his return, unable to resume the practice of his profession, and has for the last twenty-one years resided on his farm on section 16, in the town of Clarno.
William M. Dodson was born in Northamptonshire, England. When old enough he engaged in gardening. During the last seven years he spent in the old country, he lived in Kent. He emigrated to America, locating in Monroe, this county, when thirty-three years old. Remaining there three or four years, he purchased eighty acres of land on the west half of the northeast quarter of section 15, of William Brown. He also owns ten acres of timber, and is engaged in dairying and stock raising. He was married Dec. 20, 1877, to Elizabeth Moreland, a native of Mercer Co., Penn. She is a daughter of Robert and Martha (Mann) Moreland, both of whom are dead. They are both buried in Monroe cemetery. Mr. Moreland settled in the town of Clarno in 1848, and owned a nice farm on section 15. Mr. and Mrs. Dodson are members of the M. E. Church. Mr. Dodson is a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Hunt) Dodson. His father is buried, in England, and his mother in Ireland.
Frederick Hadinger was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, June 2, 1837. When he was three and a half years of age his father died. When fourteen years of age he came to this country, locating in Pittsburg, Penn., where he learned the trade of cabinet maker. Remaining there four years, he went to Bartlett county and engaged in the manufacture of wagons, buggies, etc. Remaining there about seven years, he removed to Janesville, Wis., and engaged in the same business. Then he removed to the town of Jefferson, this county; thence to the town of Clarno, where he purchased sixty acres of timber of Isaac Newman on section 13. He now owns 300 acres, 200 acres of which is broken, the rest being timber and pasture. He was married on the 20th of February, 1861, to Jane Henderson, a native of Ohio. They had five children William J., Elizabeth Harvey, Emma and Minnie. In politics he is a republican. William J. is clerk of district No. 8.
David Disher was born in Switzerland, March 22, 1827, and is a son of Christian and Magdalena (Mimmick) Disher, both of whom are dead and were buried in the State of Ohio. They came to America in 1851, settling in Lucas Co., Ohio. David came to Tuscarawas county with them and remained in that county two months. He then went to Lucas county, where he was married to Elizabeth Joberg. She was of Swiss extraction, and. was born in Tuscarawas county. He was married Aug. 18, 1855. From that county Mr. Disher removed to Lucas county, and thence to Green Co., Wis., and first settled ten miles north from the county seat, in the town of Washington. From there he removed to the town of Clarno in 1867, settling on section 24, where he now owns fifty acres of land. Mr. and Mrs. Disher have had four children -- Sophia M., now married to William Tinn, and living in the town of Clarno; John C., Luther F. and Barbara A. They are members of the German Evangelical Church. Mr. Disher adheres to the principles of the democratic party.
A. Morton was born in Spencer Co., Ind., Nov. 29, 1814. He is a son of James and Mary M. (Montgomery) Morton, who are dead, and buried in Franklin cemetery. A. Morton moved from his native place to Vermilion county, and remained fifteen years. Then came to Green county and settled on the Calvin Hale place, living there three years. He next went to what is known as the "George Adams' place," on Honey creek, and lived there one year, then purchased a farm on section 5, lots 5 and 11. In 1859 he was burned out. In 1863 he moved to the place he now occupies. In 1850 he went to California and remained two years in the gold mines, having crossed the plains with an ox team. There he met with good success, and returned in good spirits. He subsequently spent three years in the lead mines at Galena, Ill., and returned home in 1847. He now owns 200 acres of fine land with fifty-five acres of timber. He was married March 2, 1848, to Amy Kelly, a daughter of Mordecai and Catharine (Yeazle) Kelly, both of whom are living in the town of Cadiz. Mr. and Mrs. Morton have had twelve children, seven of whom are now living Joseph, James F Mary C., Olive, Elizabeth C., Laura E. and Charles. Joseph was married in January, 1870, to Elizabeth Garton. In 1872 they removed to Pocahontas Co., Iowa, where they now reside. James F. was married in April, 1879, to Emaretta Dye, and now resides on the farm with his father. Mary C. was married in May, 1874, to Urias Diven, who resides in the town of Clarno. Olive was married to A. V. Adams, in June, 1877; they reside in Clarno. Laura E. was united in marriage in February, 1882, with William Layton, of the city of Monroe. Elizabeth and Charles live at home with their parents. Politically, Mr. Morton is a republican.
Martin Heinzelmann, a prosperous farmer of Clarno, was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, Dec. 15, 1825. He served six years in the army, in his native country, and, at the age of twenty eight came to America. He first went to Connecticut where he worked on a farm, by the month, six years, then came to Milwaukee, and a month later to Monroe. He worked in a brickyard one summer, and four years on the farm of Mr. Newton. He then bought forty acres of timber land, of Alexander Morton, at $10 an acre, which he cleared and improved. To this he has continued to add, until be now owns 125 acres of choice land, with 115 acres under cultivation. He has erected good buildings, and everything about the place indicates thrift and comfort. He makes stock raising a specialty. He was married in Monroe, to Sophia Grose, a native of Mecklenburg, and nine children have been born to them William L., and Mary E., (twins); Henrietta E., Martin F., and Annie, who is dead, and buried in the United Brethren cemetery; Herman S., Matilda A., Georgie C., and Bertha R. Mr. and Mrs. Heinzelmann are members of the Lutheran Church, and he is, in politics, independent of party.
Eli Chapin is a native of Coshocton Co., Ohio, born Aug. 30, 1818. He is a son of James and Susanna (Seward) Chapin, natives of Luzerne Co., Penn. Mr. Chapin's grandfathers were both Yankees. On the 20th of August, 1840, Mr. Chapin was united in marriage with Sarah Drake, a native of Ohio. This union was blessed with eight children Susan M., married to John Myers; Enoch J., James A., who died in Andersonville prison, having been taken prisoner at Martinsburg, Va.; Philena J., married to Charles Anderson; Marjora A., married to Joseph Reynolds; McCletus and McLeta, twins; the latter is dead, the former married Frances Eaton, and lives in the town of Clarno; and Sarah M., married to Alonzo Drake. Mrs. Chapin died July 1, 1879. Mr. Chapin was married the second time, in 1880, to Maria E. Hawthorn, widow of James Hawthorn, Jr. In April, 1866, Mr. Chapin came to Green county and purchased, of John Hanver, 200 acres of land on sections 19 and 20. He has erected good buildings and made various improvements on his farm, until now he has one of the best farms in the county. In 1881 he removed to Monroe, remaining there until in March, 1883, when he returned to his farm, where he now lives a retired life, enjoying the fruits of an industrious career. In 1861 he enlisted in the army, but was not mustered in until 1862, serving until the close of the war. He belonged to an independent company of sharp-shooters in the western and central division.
Enoch J. Chapin was born May 27, 1843. He enlisted in the service at the commencement of the war, veteranized and was mustered out at the close of the war. He married Jane Mikesell, Jan. 17, 1866, and lives in Lafayette Co., Wis.
Henry Trumpy, miller of Shueyville, was born in canton Glarus, in the southern part of Switzerland, Feb. 18, 1827, and is a son of Joseph and Catharine (Baker) Trumpy. He came to America in company with his father, and they were among the earliest settlers in the town of New Glarus. On the first night after his arrival in that town, he, with a number others, slept in a straw shed, which fell down on him during a rain in the night. With his father, he took twenty acres of land of the company who settled the township, which they afterwards permitted to revert to the company. Henry went, in 1847, to Stephenson Co., Ill., where he was employed in a saw mill, two years, then returned to New Glarus, and purchased a farm, on which he remained until 1866. He was married on the 22d of May, 1849, to Elsbeth Abley, a native of Switzerland. In 1866 they removed to Shueyville, where they now reside. Mr. Trumpy is the owner of the mill property at Shueyville, and 313 acres of land, having purchased the same of A. Ludlow, for $20,000, and now runs the saw mill and grist mill. Mr. and Mrs. Trumpy have ten children Joseph, Catharine, Sarah, Henry, Betsey, Solomon, Fred, Magdaline, Annie and Daniel. Sarah married Michael Witt, and lives in California. Catharine married B. H. Jones, and lives in Stephenson Co., Ill. Mr. Trumpy and his family are members of the Evangelical Church. He is a republican and an enterprising and useful citizen.
Joseph Lichtenwalner was born in Lehigh Co., Penn., June 20, 1829, and is the son of Joseph and Catharine (Michael) Lichtenwalner. The former is dead, and buried in Lehigh county; the latter, still a resident of that county. The subject of this sketch came to Green county in 1868, and settled on section 16, where he owns 125 acres of land. He was married May 20, 1853, to Mary A. Fenner, daughter of Barnet and Mary (Roer) Fenner, both of whom are dead, and buried in Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Lichtenwalner have had nine children seven of whom are living Albert F., Montana Valentine, Catharine M., Simon F., Nietta and Harvey. Albert F. is married to Mary McCammunt, and living in Monroe. Mr. Lichtenwalner is a member of the Lutheran Church, and his wife of the Reform Church. He is politically a republican. They have two sons dead (Maurice and Barnet), and buried in Lehigh Co., Penn.
Frank Preston is a native of Vermont, having been born there at Stratford, Orange county Feb. 18, 1843. He is a son of Benjamin and Sophia (Bowles) Preston, both of whom are dead, and buried in Greenwood cemetery. When he was three years old he was taken to Mongolia, Rock Co., Wis., and remained until March, 1868, then he came to Green county and selected a home on section 11, town of Clarno where he now owns forty acres. He was married Sept. 24, 1869, to Jennette Noyes, daughter of Lyman B. and Phebe (Sellick) Noyes. Her father is dead, and was buried in Richland cemetery, and her mother is living in Rochester, N, Y. Mr. and Mrs. Preston have had four children Nettie L., Jessie and Emily A. Nellie was a twin sister of Nettie, and is dead, and buried in Greenwood cemetery. Mr. Preston was a soldier in the Union army, having served fifteen months, commencing Feb. 25, 1864, in company E, 22d Wisconsin. He was with Sherman on his memorable march to the sea. He was not in the hospital during time of service, but contracted disease from which he has never recovered, and of such a nature as to prevent him from doing manual labor. In consequence, he receives $30 per month as a pension.
Albert Albright is a native of Millheim, Centre Co., Penn., born Jan. 27, 1825. He is a son of Zachariah and Elizabeth (Cramer) Albright. The former is now living on section 28, at the advanced age of eighty-eight years. When two years old Albert went with his parents to Mifflin county and lived there nine years. He learned the trade of gunsmith, at which he worked a good many years. Subsequently he went to Centre county and lived eight years, thence to Bedford county and remained three years, thence to Stephenson county, where he was engaged in farming twelve years, and from that place to this county, making a settlement on section 28, town of Clarno, where he had purchased a farm of 137 acres from Daniel Starr. He now owns 185 acres, raises stock and manufactures butter. He was married Feb. 27, 1851, to Sibia Babb, daughter of Daniel and Sarah (Close) Babb, both living in Stephenson county. Mr. and Mrs. Albright have had thirteen children Andrew J. Emeline; Mary J., James, David, John, George, Perry, Albert, Sarah E., Edward, William and Alta E. Mr. Albright is a member of the Reform Church, and an active Christian worker. He has been prominent in the town and county; having held local offices of trust and honor. Politically he is a democrat.
Martin Dreibelbis was born in Berks Co.: Penn., Nov. 13, 1812, and is the son of Daniel and Magdaline (Keifer) Dreibelbis. When thirty-one years of age he removed to Centre Co., Penn., and followed farming until 1868 when he removed to Orangeville, Stephenson Co., Ill., thence to Green Co., Wis., and located on section 27, where he. owns 160 acres of land which he purchased from Jacob Mason. He rents out his land, but resides in the house on his farm. Mr. Dreibelbis was married Jan. 26, 1834, to Hannah Rothermal, of Berks Co., Penn. She is a daughter of Peter and Magdaline Rothermal, both of whom are dead, being buried in Berks Co., Penn. The result of this union was thirteen children, nine of whom are living Daniel, Esther, Mary M., John, Rebecca, Sarah, William, Joseph and Hannah. Mrs. Dreibelbis died Aug. 17, 1873, aged fifty-nine years and two months, and is buried in Shueyville cemetery. She, with her husband was a member of the Reform Church. Mr. Dreibelbis has fifty grand-children and four great-grand-children, of whom he is proud. Although advanced in years somewhat, he retains the vigor of youth, and is a very agreeable companion. Being a great reader, he talks intelligently on all subjects broached to him.
John G. Eitel, a native of Germany, was born in Wurtemburg, Sept. 15, 1811. His parents, John G. and Margaret (Diem) Eitel, are dead, and buried in Wurtemburg. He left his native land, and came to America, in 1848. He stopped in New York a short time, then went to Connecticut and worked upon a farm, about five miles from Norwich, one year, then hired to work in a foundry, in Norwich, where he remained about two months. He next went to Hartford, Conn., and worked in a green house one year. He was a practical florist, having learned the art in his native country. From there he went to Brattleboro, Vt., and two years later to Buffalo, N.Y., where he was employed in a nursery six months, then, concluding to go farther west, removed to Green county and hired out to work upon a farm, one and a half miles from Monroe. He, at first, purchased twenty acres of his present farm, on section 27, town of Clarno. He now owns 110 acres, having a desirable farm, which his son Edward assists him in cultivating. He was married in Wurtemburg, to Madeline Fisher, and they have seven children Louis, Mary, Robert, Paulina, Lena, John and Edward. Four of the children are married and living in Franklin Co., Iowa, also Robert, who is not married. Mr. Eitel enlisted in 1864, in company K, of the 16th Wisconsin Infantry, and was mustered in at Madison. He participated in the battle of Kingston, N. C., and at the close of the war, was mustered out at Madison.
S. P. Noble
was born March 11, 1847, in Stephenson Co., Ill. He is a son of Carey
and Catharine (McCauley) Noble, both of whom are living in Monroe.
In 1872 Mr. Noble purchased sixty acres of land in the town of Clarno,
section 36, and has since added forty more, making 100 in all. He was married
the 8th of June, 1868, by Rev. Squire Rote, Monroe, to Isabel
N. Bridge, a daughter of G. W. Bridge, of Monroe. The result
of this union is two children Frank B., born Feb. 12, 1871; and
W., born Aug. 17, 1874. Mrs. Noble is a member of the Christian Church.
Mr. Noble is engaged in raising stock, keeping on hand a fine breed of
Durham cattle. He is a member of Richland Cheese Company.
BACK TO CLARNO